Translate

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Approaching Strangers, Part 2 - Celebrities


Billy Childish
The late Jane Bown, a photographic legend at the London Observer who photographed hundreds of prominent persons, rarely did any research about her subjects. She just showed up, studied the light and the environment, and made her exquisite portraits.

Having photographed a few celebrities and national politicians during my stint as a photographer for a regional magazine, I know that it can be a bit intimidating to have to capture the "personality" of a well-known person on film. I've learned, much like Jane Bown, that it's easier to make compelling portraits when the person is basically "unknown" to me. That's one reason I am drawn to photographing strangers.

We met Billy Childish on a London street; drawn to his handlebar mustache, his swagger, his typically British umbrella carried on a cloudless afternoon, and his hopelessly loud plaid pants. We made the portrait in our usual way, handed him an instant copy, and headed off.

Months later, I received an email from Billy praising the portrait and requesting further copies. In exchange, he sent me a copy of one of his books, and two charming wood cut prints. Turns out that Billy is a bit of celebrity in London.

Now, I'm certain even if I had known that Billy Childish was a person of some renown, I would have still made a decent portrait of him. But by not knowing, I surmise that I was totally relaxed; and by being that relaxed, it allowed Billy to present himself as relaxed, as well.

I need to keep that in mind the next time I ask someone famous to pose. Just stay "present."

No comments: