Translate

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Go Figure

I post many of my images on Flickr in order to share them and gain some feedback. One piece of feedback that helps me gauge the effectiveness of an image is the number of views, as well as the number of times a picture gets favorited. Sometimes, however, the feedback can be somewhat puzzling.

For example, I posted this image of Himiko taken last August in New York's East Village:


It's gotten a decent number of views as of yesterday, 3,891, and a modest amount of faves, 29, which is about average for my kind of work

We bumped into Himiko again at the end of November, and asked if we could make another picture. By November, I had abandoned the white seamless look and was shooting wide open in order to soften the background. This was the result:


As you can see I kept her written part of the diptych the same. The second image has garnered 12,750 views to date and a whopping (for me) 94 faves. While these are clearly two different looks of the same attractive woman, I'm hard pressed to understand the difference that made the difference between the two images.

Do you have any ideas?

2 comments:

Johan Biilmann said...

The second one - the one with the blurry background - was on flickr explore. That will boost the views and favorites enormously. I can't see if the first one was explored, but I assume it wasn't. That would explain the big difference in views.
I have no idea how a photo get selected for explore.

I like both shots and almost 4000 views in 6 months isn't bad. I get about a 1000 in the same time.

Unknown said...

Ah, that would explain the high number of hits. Thanks for clarifying, Johan.