Translate

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

One Moment in Time, Multiple Views

The photo of me at the top of the blog was taken in 1992 in Larreynaga, Nicaragua. I've forgotten who actually made the photo, but the image was made at virtually the same moment I made this portrait of Uriel.

It fascinates me that the same moment of time, depicting spatial relationships from two distinct perspectives, has been preserved on film. While Uriel is looking straight at you, look at the top of the page and view him and the rest of the scene from the side. I find the relational layers of that moment, and noticing to what each person was attending, particularly intriguing: Uriel is relating to me and the camera, I am relating to him, one boy to my side is looking at me, one partially hidden boy is looking at the camera that captured the larger picture, another child is peering in Uriel's direction while two children are attending to something off to their left, as is the woman on the far right. And now, twenty-three years after that frozen moment shot from two angles, you are looking at all of us.

No comments: