Translate

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sometimes, They're Sorry They Said "Yes"

We stop lots of people in the street and ask them to pose. We get very few turn downs. Occasionally, a person will agree to stand for a portrait but it becomes clear that they are uncomfortable and regret that they said "yes." Claudia, a young woman in Lisbon, is a good example. We asked her to pose because we liked her serene, attractive face. It was obvious, however, that she was observably uncomfortable in front of the camera: her face is set in a tight, tense mask, her body and left hand are tense, and her balled up right hand is another give away to how she's feeling. I guess, once she had committed herself, she was too polite to back out. Sometimes, it's really okay for a person to say, "I think I made a mistake. I'd really rather not." It's a pity, though; the geometry of the composition and the picture's tones work splendidly, in my opinion.


No comments: