Translate

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Go Figure, Part 2

As I've stated in a previous blog post, posting work on Flickr helps me gauge the popularity of an image particularly when viewers "fave" the picture.

When an image starts to unexpectedly take off, however, I usually forget that the image probably made it to the "Explore" section of the Flickr site. Such is the case with the portrait of "Ariel," which I posted yesterday. Usually the viewership rises slowly over the first several days and levels off into about a thousand views in about three weeks. Ariel shot up to over 3,000 in a matter of hours, and, when I checked out "Explore," there she was.

Now, perhaps someone can explain to me how a photo is selected for "Explore" on Flickr, because I had first posted a cropped version of Ariel in mid-April and it never made it to Explore. Once again, "go figure."
As of this blog post: 4032 views 105 faves in 17 hours on Flickr
As of this blog post: 1200 views, 34 faves in 22 days on Flickr




1 comment:

WeeDram said...

Well, somehow I don't think this is "go figure" ... the two images are so "way different". To me it speaks to the whole idea of CONTEXT -- details are just that: details. Without the context of a complete image (or the relevant environment, if you like,) details can be close to meaningless.

One part of the context for this photo is the body ... the face absent of her body is almost anonymous. As humans we relate to the whole no matter how much the "fashion" and "glamour" industries seek to direct us to the minutiae of what they want to sell as beauty.