Translate

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Mary Ellen Mark

Many tributes will be forthcoming for Mary Ellen Mark, the quintessential photojournalist, who passed away last Sunday.

My own Mary Ellen Mark story links back to the early 1990's when I took a weekend workshop with her at the Center for Photography in Woodstock, NY. She was generous with her knowledge and wisdom, and was quite kind to me, a relatively young, emerging photojournalist.

I was dazzled by Mary Ellen, and wanted to give her something of my own, as a way to thank her for a remarkable workshop experience. So, rather naively, I made a print of an image fresh from my first journey to Nicaragua. It was this:

Reyna
I was proud as hell of this picture, and Mary Ellen was most gracious in accepting it. Looking back, however, I have no idea what she might have done with it except either relegate it to some file, or, more expeditiously, to the trash.

In any event, any one who has experienced Mary Ellen's remarkable work is all the richer for it. I know that is the case for me.

No comments: