Translate

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The World Is Really A Very Small Place

Photo - © Andrew Frost

I routinely read an online forum called Large Format Photography. Earlier in the summer I read a query from a photographer who was planning on traveling across the country, asking about current exhibits that he could check out along the way. A photographer by the name of Andrew Frost answered: "If you pass through Kansas, I have some photographs and a set of books I made in collaboration with a printmaker up at the Lawrence Art Center... 40x50 inkjets from 8x10."  Coincidentally, I was about to make a family trip to Lawrence, so I decided to drop by and check out his work.

Andrew's photos and handmade books proved to be exceptional. His 40x50 inch prints were full of rich, meticulous detail, and his handmade books were one-of-a-kind show pieces. The work just blew me away. Inasmuch as I am currently working on a project entailing large format prints, and I have a new found interest in book making, I decided I would track down Andrew and see if he would answer some questions.

Turns out that Andy lives only about fifty miles from where I live. When I contacted him by email and asked if he would be able to meet me to talk about his work, he graciously agreed. So, over coffee on Sunday, Andy met with me for two hours, generously sharing his deep technical knowledge about printmaking, and patiently answering all of my naive questions.

So, consider today's blog post as a shout out to Andy Frost, as well as an ironic acknowledgement that two, metropolitan New York photographers could connect with one another through a photo exhibit in Lawrence, Kansas, of all places.

I encourage you to spend a few minutes linking over to sample more of Andy's fine work.

Photo - © Andrew Frost


Photo - © Andrew Frost





No comments: