Translate

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Making New Friends Wherever We Go...

As the lesbian project continues, we are making new friends everywhere we go. Last Sunday we set up on the corner of St. Marks and Second Avenue in the East Village, and chased down Jax. She seemed to enjoy the experience of being photographed so much she wrote this Facebook entry:

I was walking down the street, minding my own business when this woman chases me down the block flailing her arms. Naturally I assumed she was another East Village Crazy but eventually I took out my New York Defense System, otherwise known as earbuds and listened to what she had to say. She enthusiastically says..."Excuse me, are you a lesbian?" I roll my eyes and snidely reply "what gave me away?" She goes on to explain that she is working with this photographer who is doing a series and wants to photograph me. I am suspicious but cautiously follow her to where this gentleman is eagerly waiting with a huge camera already set up. I was sweating bullets and all I could think was "Great, the one time I professional wants to photograph me and I'm wearing gym clothes. Perfect."
After he photographed me he asked me to write something down that "defines me". I was put on the spot and drained of all inspiration. After awkwardly taking ten minutes to come up with some pearls of wisdom, all I could think was..."Damn, no spell check. I hope I don't embarrass myself." Just when I was about to write "Bye Felicia" it finally came to me.

As luck would have it, another photographer, Kurt Wittman, was present and made this snap of all of us: Jax, me (the "gentleman") and Linda (the "East Village Crazy").

A jolly time was had by all!

No comments: